Each year, United Way of Northeast Mississippi and BancorpSouth partner to provide hundreds of individuals with free income tax filing assistance through the VITA program.
To qualify for VITA, you must have a household income of $56,000 or less and be filing a simple tax return. There are no other restrictions.
To book your appointment for tax preparation, call United Way at 662-841-9133 beginning on January 21, 2020.
If you call and do not get an answer, please call back. Our phones are often overwhelmed when we start accepting calls. Please do not leave a message on our voicemail; you must speak with someone to confirm an appointment.
Appointments are limited and will fill up fast. You must have an appointment to receive tax services (no walk-ins).
Dates: February 3 to March 7
- Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday afternoons from 2:00 to 6:00 PM
- Wednesdays from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- one Saturday, March 7, from 10:00 AM to noon
Location: 218 South Thomas Street, Suite 108, Tupelo, MS 38804
- This is second building in the Spanish Village, right off Thomas Street. Suite 108 is on the first floor of that building.
What You Need to Bring
When arriving for your VITA appointment, you will need to bring:
- Proof of identification (drivers license or state-issued photo ID)
- Social Security cards for everyone in your household – you must have the physical card or a statement from the SSA office
- W-2s, interest statements, healthcare forms, childcare receipts, mortgage interest statements, and any other tax forms you may need to file – pay stubs are not accepted as a substitute for your W-2
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- To file jointly, both spouses must be present
For more information about the VITA program, visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers