The 2017 VITA program has ended. Check back in mid-January 2018 to schedule an appointment for the 2018 tax season.
Each year, United Way of Northeast Mississippi and BancorpSouth partner to provide more than 500 individuals with free income tax filing assistance through the VITA program.
United Way will begin scheduling appointments for VITA on January 17, 2017. Appointments are limited and will fill up fast. You must have an appointment to receive tax services (no walk-ins). Appointments will take place between February 6 and April 3 on Monday and Thursday afternoons.
To qualify for VITA, you must have a household income of $54,000 or less and be filing a simple tax return.
When arriving for your VITA appointment, you will need to bring:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for everyone in your household – you must have the physical card or a statement from the SSA office
- W-2s, interest statements, healthcare forms, childcare receipts, mortgage interest statements, and any other tax forms you may need to file
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- To file jointly, both spouses must be present
Appointments will take place in Tupelo at the Spanish Village at 146 South Thomas Street, Suite E.
For more information about the VITA program, visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers