Each year, United Way of Northeast Mississippi and BancorpSouth partner to provide hundreds of individuals with free income tax filing assistance through the VITA program.
To qualify for VITA, you must have a household income of $54,000 or less and be filing a simple tax return. There are no other restrictions.
To book your appointment for tax preparation, call United Way at 662-841-9133 beginning on January 16, 2018.
If you call and do not get an answer, please call back. Our phones are often overwhelmed when we start accepting calls. Please do not leave a message on our voice mail; you must speak with someone to confirm an appointment.
Appointments are limited and will fill up fast. You must have an appointment to receive in-person tax services (no walk-ins).
Dates: Appointments will take place between January 30 and March 15 on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
Location: Appointments will take place in Tupelo at the Spanish Village at 146 South Thomas Street, Suite B.
*NEW FOR 2018* Drop-off tax filing will be available at the BancorpSouth branch at 456 Coley Road in Tupelo.
Dates & Times: Drop-offs are accepted on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays only from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM. The service is available from January 30 to March 15.
When your drop-off return is ready to file, a BancorpSouth volunteer will call you to arrange a time for you to sign the paperwork before it can be filed. You must sign your tax return before it can be submitted to the IRS.
What You Need to Bring
When arriving for your VITA appointment or dropping off at BancorpSouth Coley Road, you will need to bring:
- Proof of identification (drivers license or state-issued photo ID)
- Social Security cards for everyone in your household – you must have the physical card or a statement from the SSA office
- W-2s, interest statements, healthcare forms, childcare receipts, mortgage interest statements, and any other tax forms you may need to file – pay stubs are not accepted as a substitute for your W-2
- A copy of last year’s tax return
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit
- To file jointly, both spouses must be present
For more information about the VITA program, visit http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers